Ben in Hong Kong©

Friday, February 8, 2008

One week down!

So one week has gone in the wonderful world of recruitment tripping, so I thought I would update on two things that have happened so far.


Thing 1) I got my face in a picture to be used by the New York Times!!!
This came about because I went for lunch with the wonderful Oxford University careers lady. She has become quite a close contact since I showed her and her husband around Hong Kong some months ago. (click for the story)
So she took me to this fantastic old pub and we sat down at a fantastic old table and I ate a fantastic cheese roll. Amid all this fantastic we were suddenly interupted by a very out of place American accent which asked "excuse me, i'm writing an article about old pubs in Oxford and i'm taking pictures to use for the New York Times, would you mind being in them?" We turned to the owner of the accent and replied that we had no problem being in his paper, and he started snapping away.
--------------------------------------------
Thing 2) An old lady nearly crashed into my car.
After the Oxford presentation (which went really well) I began my drive to Warwick. Halfway there I was moving in slow traffic up a hill. Towards the top of the hill there were traffic lights which were the cause of the hold up, so I applied my handbrake and prepared to wait for the green light.
However, the car in front of me had different ideas. It began, (slowly at first), to roll backwards. A little bit concerned about this, I started to edge backwards as well. The approaching car did not stop coming though, so I started to reverse a little bit more as this car crept towards me at an ever increasing speed.
Whilst reversing, I looked ahead and saw the outline of the driver in front. I spotted the easy identifiable perm of an elderly lady driver. Not only that, her head was at an angle and drooping, indicating one of two things. She was either dead, or asleep.
By this time she had rolled back at least 1.5 meters. I then did what I should have done far earlier and applied my horn. At the loud honk the perm in front jerked upward, the car finally ceased the backwards journey towards my front bumper and shot away.

Thank god the old bat was not dead.
And now for more pictures of weekend home stuff

(another view from the hill)

dog walking at stupid o'clock in the morning is a worrying weetman development.

Worse still, the dogs think they own the place...

Artistic shot of dog and bench and tree

Sunday roast, mmmmmmm. (And the hand of a grandmother)
bx

No comments: