Ben in Hong Kong©

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Problem

I walked into the steamy room and slightly dipped my head in shame. I have not visited her in some time and feel bad.

"I have a problem" I said.

"What's your problem"? She replied "You never come to see me anymore!"

"I know, I know, it's just that I have a problem that only you can fix", I explained whilst pointing to my bag.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, I am leaving for England tomorrow evening and last night decided to do my washing at home".

She seemed to understand where I was going with this and crossed her arms. I continued.

"Well I washed it all, but now I have left it hanging in my room for over 24 hours and it is so damp and cold outside that my clothes are still not dry!" I sniffed my shirt to display it's fresh, yet damp nature. "I need them dry to pack them and take them home by tomorrow!"

"So you want me to just dry your shirts, and not wash them?" She asked, laughing hard.

"Yes please".
...................................

Well I like to think that is how the conversation I just had went. My laundry lady can't speak English and I can't speak Cantonese. We tried our best though, and hand gestures and laughing normally gets the message across.

bx

2 comments:

robynandben said...

Ahh I miss Laundry Lady and Metal Toothed Husband!

Anonymous said...

metal toothed husband was not there thankfully, his laugh always blinds me