Ben in Hong Kong©

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hong Kong Protests

There has recently been pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. They were hailed as being peaceful and non violent, which having lived here for a year comes as no surprise. I think the fact that last year I did not know one instance of crime or violence occuring with any of my friends or staff in the company is a good statistic in itself.
The picture on the left was taken of the march by a news photographer. I can't be sure but it looks like the main street by our old office.
I was on that same street yesterday and came across another protest. This one was in support of those who practice a religion called Falun Gong. It's a little bit complicated but if it's to be believed, then in Mainland China these followers get a very very hard time. Freedom of religion is not something that is supported in the mainland.
The protest was huge. I think that protests have a particularly important meaning in Hong Kong. When I speak to young local friends I ask them how they feel about in 50 years time when Hong Kong is fully under the rule of China. (At the moment China only has military oversight of HongKong). They often use protests as an example of something that they can do to ensure that Hong Kong remains democratic. I don't know if this is actually the case, but if news reports are to be believed, Hong Kong knows how to protest.
bx

No comments: